Monday, February 21

re: Fruita Trip

Fruita - who all here is going? Any of the old school, Honker Hangar crew besides Bryan and I? Just curious...

Anyway, this just in - The Pablo family will be joining us (sort of) P & A are bringing Ella and plan to trade off riding and kid watching. They may or may not camp depending on how courageous little Ella is - hotel may be a necessary evil. Anway, regardless of family, Pablo would like to ride for a day. He told me he's in no kind of shape to ride all of the Mary's Loop trails in one day, but would love to join us for half of that romp or something in GJ.

Just thought I'd throw that up.

Here's something else I've been daydreaming of... I'd like to ride 100% of the Mary's Loop stuff - Step out onto Rustlers for a short warm up cruise. Then, on to the rocky drop descents and buttery smooth sections of Horsetheif. Back out of Horsetheif, then onward to Steve's Loop and Handcuffs. Enjoy the sweet scenery of the Colorado River inlet canyons and start climbing up Lions Loop over to Troy Built. Down Kokopellis/Troy Built's blazing fast and steep singletrack all the way to the river. Turn around and climb out of the Colorado River bottom and back up Lion's Loop to Mack Ridge. Roll the top Mack Ridge and drop down it's bone jarring rocks over one the day's final climb (the most technical of the day) on Moore Fun, then play pinball on the rocks and surf the ribbon of singletrack down to the one last booter of the day, kicking us on to the service road and back to the car.

Would anyone be up for tempting fate on that one. Big mileage, much smileage.

17 comments:

debaser said...

I've been concidering that same ride, and here's how I'd like to do it: Start from the trailhead at the base of Moore Fun. Hit that first. That way, it's easy to refuel and take a breather 5/8ths of the way through it at the vehicles.

redstone said...

That's a good route. Hitting the Moore Fun climb fist is probably a smart idea. With the availability to visit the car in the middle, though, getting back out of the car could be as challenging as the rest of the ride...

debaser said...

We did 2-a-days in Moab. It's big, brutal, beautiful.

debaser said...

What I'd like to do is hit the Lunch Loops 'Watch area for a big ugly day of riding. Out and back on the ribbon? Further out on the 'Watch? (You know as well as me that there ought to be oodles of local stash out these somewhere.) Plus, there's little Wing and all that that I havn't hit. Holy Cross (is that right?) is ok, would be more fun with friends, I suppose.

I'd also concider the Edge Loop, or more preferably, a modifed Edge loop without the gravel road badness.

I should say this too: My goals are:
1. Have a great time.
2. Ride with friends
3. Hang out with friends.
I'm down with making new friends, and I'm sure I will find a few new ones with how many folks are planning on this, but I'll ride and chill with the Lampers and the Matts as much as possible. So, i'm saying, I'm flexible on the schedule. I'm stoked to get to ride and camp in a sweet place with all y'all.

mw said...

i've read about the edge loop and i would like to hit it one day. i could probably live without the insane sand sections but yeah i'd love to do it. and the mary's loop madness you were talking about at the beg. of the post sounds great too. i'm going there to ride ride ride, and chill with the best people in the world.

MG said...

yeah, i'm pretty open to what we do as far as rides go. everything out there rocks, so it's not like we'll get stuck riding lame trails.

my two goals for this trip are to ride, and have fun with my bros. i want to be able to stop as many times as needed on rides to keep everyone happy and safe. you know the drill...
:-}
mg

debaser said...

I'd highly suggest checking out the Ribbon, and lunch loop area. Two pics about midway down. The area starts on the south side of Grand Junction.

redstone said...

Lunch loops are yummy - I wouldn't mind climbing up Gunny's loop and connecting Tabaguache up to the top of Ribbon. That'd only leave a mile or two of pavement if we did that.

debaser said...

Yeah! Gunny Loop!

I'm almost ready to head downstairs and dig out the map...

redstone said...

Htop - Laramie is right up your alley. Very fast and non technical. The toughest singletrack is at the end and you climb it - a lot of folks are walking by then anyway.

Back to Fruita - no matter what we ride, we'll be fine if MG brings the Nerd Ropes

mw said...

any other takers for the fruita trip? mic? i think hansen said no...

who else?

debaser said...

Mic's wife Summer is pushing him to go. He's purty stoked to be riding this year, even if he is pushing those Bionicon bikes. My guess is we'll see him there.

redstone said...

other takers...

Might have another guy or 2 from Lyons. Chad Melis has committed. He's a great guy - in a LOT of respects, a clone to MG. Fast, similar styles, similar hobbies, etc. Fun guy to ride/party with.

For those of you that were at the Fest last year, he was the guy on the S Works Epic.

debaser said...

Sweet! Chad's got good taste in music. I'll make sure to be part of that caravan!

mw said...

fruita fruita.

shithouse is in town this week and he is pumped up for the fruita adventure.

fruita fruita.

debaser said...

Shithouse ion Fruita. Matt in Fruita. Matt in Fruita. Redstone in Fruita. A bunch of other folks in the crew.

Looking good.

MG said...

man, mic has one damn cool wife. hot too... (oops, did I actually type that?!)

:-}
mg