Thursday, February 10

I had an idea...

Anyone want to come out for a big summer ride. I'm thinking big as in "would be good quasi training for Laramie" big.

Here's some thoughts -

(a - not too big)a 30-40 miler in Johnny Park/Lions Gulch (Also known as the CSB ride from the 1st Fat Tire fest in '01)

(b - medium big)a Nederland to Allenspark ride. Also 40ish miles, but way more technical with significantly more singletrack. That'd be an all dayer for sure. Start in Ned, hit Jeep roads up thru Caribou, then over to Sourdough, up Sourdough to Peacefull Valley, then N on more Jeep roads to Allenspark

(c - way too big)How about Winter Park to Allenspark. Same ride as (b) but we'd have to ride from Winter Park, up and over Rollins Pass and down Jenny Creek before we'd even get to Ned. Like (b)but with an extra 2500' of climbing and probably an extra 20 miles.

Would any of you guys be interested in any of these? I'm asking now because something like this, I've got to plan ahead. I was thinking option (b) myself, but I'm game for any kind of suffering.

12 comments:

debaser said...

Those are all b-i-g. I'd try any and all of them, at least once.

bdiddy said...

I would also be game for any of them. Never did get the ned undercover tour and i have always wanted to go back to jenny creek ever since the '97 trip!

debaser said...

Ned is a good place. Too bad it's an hour and some from the lftf, because the riding there is ropeadopedope. A ton of options. More new stuff every season. Easy shuttle up from Boulder via mass transit. And Jenny Creek? How did I ever ride that ridgid on my 8300 ten years ago I don't know. I could go on and on...

bdiddy said...

Hey redstone when are ya thinking of doing this ride? I would like to plan on being there. Seems like my calendar is getting filled up and its only Feb. Toss me some rough routes my way so I could look it over on the maps at the B&N with a cup of coffee! I do that whenever we go there Euro road and mtb mags then straight to the map section!

mw said...

man, i wish i could plan on a summer trip but i am betting this upcoming fruita actin is my only chance for the forseable future. maybe laramie?

debaser said...

I'm finishing Laramie this year.

So far, there's the mtbr Co gathering in Breck, this Redstone ride, a road ride from Silverthorne to Leadville through Vail and Minturn, and anything else i can cook up to be in shape for it.

bdiddy, look for the Sourdough trail west of the Peak to Peak highway.

Chaybo said...

dave...i'd love to come down and do a close knit long homie ride. Jenny Creek...damb i didn't even have pubic hair last time i rode there.

redstone said...

Hmm, dates. Something like this won't be do able until mid June at the absolute earliest. On the same token, it needs to happen by probably early Sept at the lates. Kind of a short window for this type of ride. We'll have to do it super early in the am to be done (or at least close) by afternoon rain time.

This far out, my dates are pretty open, so you tell me!

debaser said...

maybe we could start pre-dawn a'la the James Peak ascent, but without the hub failure.

I gotta toss that ride in the mix too.

redstone said...

Can't do the James Peak ascent anymore - that was our one shot. All of that is now "James Peak Wilderness" and is off limits to bikes. Too bad, such a spectacular area!

debaser said...

Not the Ute trail, the Jeep roads up in that area. Good hard climbing.

redstone said...

Yep. Can't even get close to the peak anymore, but I'd be down with starting near rollinsville and rolling over to check out the network of stuff over by Alice/St Mary's glacier. Matty and I took little Z up there in the Jeep 2 years ago. Had to turn around when her little head was bouncing all over... Looked like fun terrain.