Monday, August 15

one, two, three, four...

Three weeks, four broken spokes. First was rear non-drive side on the cross bike. Honestly, surprised I havn't toasted those wheels yet with the riding I've put them through. Then a rear spoke on my Enduro - Commando Run, probably just snagged a rock or something as it was a fast techy dh.

Then this weekend, in Leadville, on the 29'er. Hadn't ridden it since Laramie where it worked flawlessly. So, I hop on, feels good, and 10 minutes into an easy dirt road climb, one goes pop. What the!! So, I tie it off, luckily I'm still runnin the skinny tires so I can keep riding. Back on the bike, and POP again... WTF!! Four spokes away, rear tire rubbing in the stays badness this time. Turned around, jogged back to the Jeep. And that was the end of my riding this weekend. Except for teh 4wheelers, but that's another story!

7 comments:

mw said...

leadville as in you were compeating???

debaser said...

Oh no, no way. Some friends have access to their parent's cabin outside town, we've had the weekend planned for months. Joe and I saw the finish, very cool. Several groups of three were full on sprinting for the line 99.9 miles into it! I will say that I sort of have the bug to maybe try it next year, but I'd like to hear how it compared to Laramie.

mw said...

bummer on the spokes regardless. when it rains it pours.

i just put a brand new 1991 perf black leather turbo saddle on my commuter. it goes against my thinking as far as the commuter only gets old worn out parts but i had to have it back. i had one stolen on my 8900 commuter. i've wanted one since. i was very jealous of mg's yellow perf.

isn't leadville fairly un-interesting/challenging as far as the actual riding is concerned? i'm sure it's beautiful and difficult due to elevation and the climbing blah blah but it's all on doubletrack right?

debaser said...

That's my understanding.

redstone said...

There's supposed to be a moderately ok singletrack around Turqoise Lake?

debaser said...

We were riding nearer to TN Pass, although we didn't leave from the neighborhood this time. Checked out a few roads in the Jeep afterwards, No Name Gulch looked like a good place to play in the future.

We did rip around the neighborhood on the 4wheelers. Never done that before, it was a blast. 25mph feels like 80 on the roads. Rolled into the forest too, riding on the 4wd roads. They shift like a moto, but there's no clutch. Just let off the gas and pop into the next gear.

redstone said...

shit dude, depending on the machine you were on, you don't have to let off the throttle. Just keep the gas on. Motocross bikes are kind of the same way. They have a clutch, but you only need to use it to get off the start line. Braaaaap!