Monday, July 25

Lincoln To Ponca Epic!



Here is a pic from the Lincoln to Indian Cave ride a few of us did last year around this time! Welp like MW said in the comments of the previous post we are planning to ride FROM LINCOLN TO PONCA STATE PARK ! This is the plan Leave Saturday in the wee hours of the morning 3 a.m. and head North parallel to HWY 77. The weather is suppose to be a little cooler and with the tailwind we should cruise into the park between 12 and 14 hours UGGGGh! We have two riders with GPS going so we shouldn't get lost. I'm going to try and route around any water crossing structures like the one pictured above:) Right now the list of riders are bdiddy,MW,JP,Wolfman,Bigmech,JRA. The only thing that is in limbo and could hold the trip up are shuttle rides! Yup we will need rides home what a bunch of slackers i know. If your interested in doing the ride get a hold of me I'll fill you in on the details. If your going up to Pre ride the race course or if your interest in going up to camp and need to follow someone up there and have an open seat in your vechicle to haul one of back get a hold of me.

20 comments:

debaser said...

I don't ever tire of seeing pictures of that bridge.

What's the guestimated milage?

mw said...

come on wolfman. the more the merrier...

i got a hard on already. well not really. oh wait. yes i do.

debaser said...

Yer all looney!! Mapqwest puts it at 172, but that's via I25.

Am I the only one wondering, "Roadbikes???"

Mark Savery said...

Hey now! None o' that 4 in the rear talk!

bdiddy said...

Mapsource clocks it at 123 straight line! That gives us 17 miles of goofing off to get to gas stations for food and then back the serenity of the gravel. That would put us at my estimate grand total of 140 miles.

The things you have to do to get an epic in NE!

debaser said...

Riding with goodfolks and stopping off for jerky and cheeze whiz and cokes sounds mighty fine. No 4 inches in the rear for e though.

redstone said...

That ride's going to take a LOT of Nerd Ropes!

Mark Savery said...

I guess I'm officially a sissy now. I could barely make it home from the Platte the other week with mw.

You guys are nutz.

J.R.A. said...

Well, I am still up in the air. I want to go. But I am still awaiting a kitchen pass for Saturday. But I know I would hate to miss this. I'll make it work someway or another.

SH

MG said...

yeah, you guys are insane. i was somewhat relieved when my wife told me that i was already committed to hanging with her family on saturday... i know.. i'm a wuss.

good luck on the tour de pain.
:-}
mg

mw said...

mg- you'll be missed. i'll cry when we get to ponca and you're not there!!!

MG said...

... you might be crying anyway. that's gonna' be a long day!

may the wind be at your backs, and the temperature be below a hundred.

you're bigger men than i.
:-}
mg

Chaybo said...

ah-ma-god....you guys are seriously gonna do it ! Who's all signed up ?

140-172 .... what's it matter once you've pedaled that far ?

Tracy rode 163 miles on her silver Croll once....she had a sore neck for a month. good luck fellas !

mw said...

she rode that far in one day?

Chaybo said...

wills...yep in one day and on a mtb too !!!


http://www.ratpod.org/

mw said...

com-mon wolfman. the ride to ponca is a dream come true (or a nightmare?) uncharted territory fo sure...

cvo said...

I think i'd be in if my wife were in town, but no wife in town, I'm stuck at home babysittin.

sorry,

(thankyou shortstop for a good excuss)

besides, you guys would ride a lot faster than me, 140-175 uh that's a two dayer for old 3p0

mw said...

i hear you there wolfman.

buck up little camper. we'll get over this mountain together...

mw said...

you can use jp's microwave. of course you'll have to move all the empty beer cans out the way...

John Lefler, Jr. said...

Have fun on your little hippie pilgrimage! ;-) be sure to download the Ponca race course map off of the THOR site. Be safe!