Saturday, November 19

Ever look at the pavement...

...when you're going down the highway and think about how much it looks like a grinding wheel at full tilt?

As usual when traveling, there were quite a few cars traveling on the highway. We were going at a pretty good clip when someone behind us starts flashing his brights, a lot, and backs away from us. Hmmm... I start to slow down and change lanes towards the shoulder, and it's more of the same... Hmmm... I stopped, got out, and the Croll was held on the rack only by the wheel strap, the rest hanging down onto the pavement.

Not a good feeling to see that! But, at least it was still there... Here's the worst of it. Fortunately, the frame suffered only a few paint chips (imagine that) while the stem and fork took the brunt of the damage.


5 comments:

redstone said...

That sucks. Glad the frame is no worse for the wear.

bdiddy said...

I may have a fork i can donate to the cause!

mw said...

that's all of our worst nightmares coming true. ouchy.

mw said...

how many of us have hit the garage with the bike up on the roof. that doesn't feel good either.

Anonymous said...

Yo, been there done that! A few years ago my Juliana was hanging by it's back wheel for who knows how long. We left Platte and just after the 120th & Harrison exit, Trevin's wife Terra yells, "I don't see your bike". We pulled onto the shoulder and I was at the back of their truck, I swear, in one bound, all the while looking down the interstate for it reflecting in the sun or under a semi truck. To my luck, it was still there. The left break and shifter were ground to the knub and part of the front fork got a little bit ground off the end. Holy crap, I got lucky! What a blonde! So, needless to say, I make sure the bike is really secure before taking off.