Sunday, March 18

new bike day

A customer came into the shop today with a near brand new '93 or '94 Trek 8000. The womand said she got it for free from a woman giving away some bikes that she'd been collecting for awhile, but is no longer in good enough health to worry about bikes anymore. She had a whole pile of junk out front of her house she was giving away. My customer told me there was another bike that she didn't take because the fork was broken. I got directions. :) Found this note taped to the bike.
Anyone want a beat up Showa fork? I haven't dived into it yet, but it looks as if all it needs are some schrader valve top caps.








I gave it about 2 minutes in the stand. It's in good enough shape that, with a fixed fork, you could clean it and lube it and go hammer. Underneath the dirt gunk everything is in great shape.





Had to add this to the post. A guy stopped in this weekend on this beautiful Kogswell. Suntour Cyclone, Paul's Brakes, Brooks saddle, shellacked cork tape and 650b wheels. Full coverage fenders painted to match. Sweet!







9 comments:

bdiddy said...

Nice pickup!

Didn't you like the suntour stuff?

redstone said...

I still think XC Pro, both 8 and 7 speed is one of the best mountain groups ever. I kinda wish the wheels had the Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard hubs.

Mark Savery said...

I think dk had that bike

debaser said...

Didn't Wills have one of those stolen a while back, although not with that fork, I'm sure.

MG said...

i had one of those 8700s too... it was one of my favorite bikes ever. that sus fork isn't stock, but otherwise, it looks totally stock issue -- even that super dope turbo special saddle.

they handle better without suspension. d. kelley will tell you that too...

cvo said...

I see old bikes like that and all I can think of is Davrill...


nice find man,

I'll ask dk at lunch about the ride.

thad said...

donk has almost that same kogswell-except his is fixie and has a mustache bar w/ brooks tape on it. same saddle though....

debaser said...

I still have the 8300. It's soaking up the sun... everyday... locked up outside... at least it was the last time I checked. Poor thing.

bdiddy said...

If anyone is interested this link was recently posted on MTBR The Sunset of SunTour.