Thursday, September 14

not quite ready


but i just ordered the M952 cranks about 10 minutes ago. I almost shit myself when the gal from E-A told me what the cranks were gonna cost me.....jesus. Buy as much of the older shit while ya can, cause vintage bike parts inflate in value. BIG TIME. And that's a tip from you're buddy chaybo. I'm pretty stoked to be getting a set of 110 bcd cranks, it'll be fun to screw around with the abundace of compact road rings that are being made these days. Road compact is cool and that's tip #2.


So.....here's a picture minus cranks, bb, bb-7's and grips...but you get the picture. She's gonna be SWEEETT ! i can't wait to log in a dirt road century on her, and hopefully by next weekend.



btw....good guess nate. You must have a catalog of rigid forks built inside of that noggin of yours, how you can tell a bike by the fork beats the shit outta me.

14 comments:

redstone said...

OK, so question for MW, the 29er guru. What's a "Monster Cross" versus a rigid 29er with funky bars?

debaser said...

maybe it's that fine line between funky and drop bars for offroad? Maybbe he'll cross back into fs.

MG said...

nice bike chad. i like 29ers a lot.
mg

MG said...

mary bars are sweet too. thumbs up.

Chaybo said...

gersib....i owe your salsa for the inspiration to use the mary's. It was the first bike that i've seen with them mounted. I thought they looked pretty dope. So, call me a copy cat.

MG said...

... i certainly wasn't the first person using 'em, but thanks for the shout out.

they definitely reward a "classic" mx-style apprach -- outside elbow up, inside elbow tight and pulling. when you pair mary with a short stem, she really kicks ass.

lemme know how they work for ya'.

Chaybo said...

for the record....i'm not actually going to ride mine, she's just going to be my new bed side companion.

the wheels are far too big for me !

Chaybo said...

okay....i'm just joking about not riding on the big wheeled bike.


I'm excited as hell to get it out on the roads. And i'm sure you'll hear from me again once i get back.

mw said...

i don't know why a monster cross can't simply be a 29er with funky or drop bars. maybe a monster cross is up to 700x46 and a 29er is everything up from there. how's that. either way, cool bike. this one appears to be equipt with exi's.

mw said...

what's with those extra levers on the bars tho???

Chaybo said...

oh, you must mean those shifter looking things. Welp, i need those because god only gifted me with these spindly chicken legs and then there's also the fact that i'm just not manly enough to climb for 11 miles in one friggin gear.

Quit giving me shit.

Chaybo said...

exi's they are, but i'd like to experiment with some 700 X 40-45's too. So does that mean that on same days my bike is a monster cross and on the others it's simply a 29er ? I think we should ALL just call them what they actually are.....hybrids !! hahahaha

i've confused myself.

redstone said...

yeah dude. replace that Brooks with a gel saddle and a suspension post for real hybrid authenticity.

mw said...

they are hybrids for sure. but with fat tires they rip and are fun.